We will admit, we have become slightly obsessed with spaghetti squash and the endless possibilities it provides. It is a nutritious option, that can be paired with just about anything, and helps satisfy those cravings of pasta we all have. For this meal prep we are showing spaghetti squash 3 ways, allowing you to have variety
in your lunches without spending the extra time to do so!
The Spaghetti Squash Base:
Prepping spaghetti squash can seem difficult, but isn't as hard as you think. Here are the steps we take:
1) Microwave spaghetti squash for 5 minutes to slightly soften so that it is easier to cut. If you have a good knife and want to muscle through it, go for it, but the microwave definitely helps.
2) Cut the squash short ways in rings, not long ways in half. We have found that this allows for easier prep and helps it cook better. As you cut into rings, clean out the seeds and either save them to roast later, or toss them!
3) Lay the rings out on a pan, and heavily salt them and let them sit for 15 minutes. Many people skip this step, but you won't believe how much water comes out of the squash during this process, which makes it taste significantly better.
4) After it has sat, wipe off the water and salt, then lightly oil the rings.
5) Bake in oven at 375 for 30 minutes, or until soft
6) Remove from oven, and use fork to scrape the squash out into noodle like forms
7) Pair with your favorite sauce and enjoy!
We made three different sauce options for our lunch meal prep, all using the same big batch of spaghetti squash. They were:
1) Pesto & Mozzarella
2) Lemon, Herb & cherry Tomato
3) Hearty Ground Turkey, Mushroom, & Onion Tomato Sauce
Create your favorite Sauce, mix it up day to day, and enjoy a weeks worth of easy and healthy lunches!