It sure feels like the tropics outside right now. So where’s our cabana boy to fetch us some umbrella drinks, huh?
Though most of us aren't lucky enough to be lounging in the Caribbean all summer, you can still get a taste of island time with this easy pineapple smoothie. It works well as a refreshing mocktail for kids and make a great happy hour treat for parents when you add rum. Bonus: It’s actually kind of healthy, too. Just a cup of the golden fruit provides your recommended daily allowance of vitamin C. Pineapple may also improve digestion and provide anti-inflammatory benefits.
What you’ll need:
- 1 entire pineapple
- 3 cups ice
- 3 scoops vanilla ice cream; we opted for a dairy-free version but feel free to use a traditional ice cream, frozen yogurt or fruit sorbet
- 1 banana; for a thicker smoothie, freeze the banana ahead of time
- 6 oz pineapple juice
- 2 oz coconut water; for more of a tropical taste, opt for a pineapple-flavored version
- Optional: 4.5 ounces of rum; this is the equivalent to 3 shots, so feel free to switch things up with flavored versions
- Blender or food processor
- Slice off the top of the pineapple a couple of inches below the base of its stem. Make sure you cut in a spot that is wide enough that you can get your hand inside to scoop out the fruit.
- Carve out the fruit inside the pineapple by cutting closely along the insides of the entire pineapple with a dinner knife or paring knife, being careful not to pierce the outer edge of the rind. Then, scoop out the fruit with a spoon, ice cream scoop or grapefruit spoon. Reserve the scooped-out pineapple shell for later use.
- Combine the scooped-out fruit from the pineapple with the ice, ice cream, banana, pineapple juice and coconut water, then blend well.
- If you’re opting for the adult version with rum, add the alcohol one shot at a time to taste, then blend again.
- Pour the concoction back into your hollowed-out pineapple, add a straw and enjoy!